Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Subtle magic

As I've been watching several great movies while I skip classes, I focused on a lot of great subtle acting. The more I get into them, the more I cringe at many 3D animations that has too many of exaggerated pose to pose whiplashes.

Having some slow moments where the audience has time to think, time to figure out what the character is thinking and to understand the character's emotion is what I want to incorporate into my forth year film. Although it is much harder to make a film that establishes character's unique personality and flaws in 1-2 minutes but my experiences tell me that those things makes me come back to watch the film over and over.

Here are my favorite sequences/scenes from few movies (spoiler alert)

This is my most favorite sequence in the entire Horton Hears a Who movie. For some reason I loved it when Sally O'Malley (mayor's wife) points at the mayor about hanging chandelier and blinks twice. In the sequence the mayor talks about the situation of Whoville and the wife thinks he is crazy. so as the mayor circles around and tries to explain, Sally remains rather still while making subtle eye and body movements. Fantastic.

Singing in the Rain is another awesome movies I got a chance to see recently and I loved the bit where Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) tries to impress Kathy Seldon (Debbie Reynolds) by doing his movie star thing and Kathy takes one look at Don's hand on her shoulder and catches on and then she begins to talk down movie stars.

Lars and the Real Girl is full of genuine subtle acting. Nothing is exaggerated. I had lots of fun trying to figure out what each of the towns folks are thinking about when they look at Bianca.
This is screen cap of my favorite scene in the movie cuz it was sweet. Not to mention Kelli Garner looks super cute in this movie.

1 comment:

  1. hey i was just about to pick up lars from work

    looked interesting
    i will now

    -King

    ReplyDelete